Friday, May 29, 2009

Astronomically good stuff, cheap!

I am an astronomy buff.  And as many of you know, 2009 is the International Year of Astronomy. Yay

So you can imagine my joy in learning of the initiative put forth by a group called galileoscope.org. This group is producing replicas of the telescope Galileo used to survey the heavens over 400 years ago. These telescopes, while by no means top of the line, will easily allow you to get a good look at the craters on the moon, Jupiter and its 4 largest moons, and the rings of Saturn. And the most amazing thing about them is the price: $15.00!  


I've read some comments on other blogs about the shipping costs being high, and some concern about their capabilities and how long it might take to get them. But for $15.00??? I'll take a shot. I bought 2: one for my (soon to be) 8 year old daughter, and one to donate to her school.

I urge any of you who have children and want a decent starter telescope at a ridiculously low cost to pick one of these up, and maybe get one to donate to your local school.

Courtesy of the one and only Bad Astronomer .

No comments:

Post a Comment